Monday, June 10, 2013

Unexpected Visitors in Pallikaranai

A lot of buzzzz is going on over the sightings of Flamingos in Pallikaranai. Yes, a colony of  Flamingos have arrived some time ago in Pallikaranai marshlands and experts say that around 300 plus birds might be there. Bird watchers and photography enthusiasts are making weekly trips to the marshland, which they rarely visit during this time of the year.
 
Flamingos flock in Pallikaranai marsh
In my last post, I had mentioned that I will be writing about Siruthavur Lake, but this sudden increased activity in Pallikaranai made me change my post. Just glancing at the swamps has become a habit for me, whenever I drive through the Thuraipakkam – Pallavaram road. On Saturday afternoon when I was going that way, a single file of some 15 – 20 white birds standing at the centre of the swamp caught my attention. I was not able to identify the bird immediately as my mind could not relate flamingo as a bird which can be seen in Pallikaranai. I stopped my vehicle and crossed into the fencing. As the sun was glaring and the birds were totally white, it took me sometime to convince myself that those birds were flamingos. That night I went through the net and came across many articles about the sighting of Flamingos in pallikaranai.


Next day was a Sunday; I reached the marsh at around 5.45 in the morning with my camera. Crossed into the fencing and stood in a place where there were no trees. Unfortunately during my last trip to Kelambakkam backwaters the quick release plate of my cheap tripod broke due to the excess weight of my Sigma 120 – 400 lens, so I had to take all the photos handheld. Also there were some other winged friends as usual; A Red-wattled Lapwing was busy chasing a dog to protect its nest and an Oriental Ibis making a landing.
Red-wattled Lapwing

I always wanted to visit Pulicat during the flamingo season but never got the right company and opportunity. May not be very good pictures but after all “been there and done that”


Oriental Ibis or Black headed Ibis making a landing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comment